The Center For Disease Control reports that over 200,000 individuals in the US experience injuries resulting from sudden slips in the bathroom each year. While it may seem like a universal issue, the majority of those affected are elderly or physically frail.
Fortunately, this number can be reduced by installing a simple grab bar near the bathtub or toilet. Doing so significantly decreases the likelihood of slips and enhances safety for elderly household members. As safety is of utmost importance, it is essential to select the best quality grab bars.
In this article, we will outline some of the most robust grab bars currently available on the market. Stay tuned to learn more!
What Are the Best Shower Grab Bars?
Rather than simply listing the top 10 or 5 grab bars, we aim to provide more categorical recommendations. Please take a look at the following list to gain a better understanding:
1. Best Overall: Moen 8724 Bathroom Grab Bar
- Features a stainless finish for a brushed metallic look
- Supports up to 500 pounds and provides a reliable handhold for showering, bathing, or using the toilet
2. Best for Freestanding Tub: Moen R8924P Bathroom Grab Bar
- Includes a textured, slip-resistant finish
- Measures 27.25 inches in total and supports up to 500 pounds
- Provides a reliable handhold with its 1.5-inch diameter
3. Best for Daily Fall Prevention: AmazonBasics Bathroom Handicap Safety Grab Bar
- Boasts handles that are easy to clean and resistant to smudging or fingerprints
4. Best for Ceramic Tile: AmeriLuck Stainless Steel Bath Grab Bar
- Features a clean design with a variety of finishes to choose from, such as Brushed Nickel, White, ORB, and Rustic Matt Black
- Provides an elegant look without the “Hospital/Nursing home” feel
5. Best for Fiberglass Shower: Franklin Brass 5616 Bath and Shower Grab Bar
- Adds a decorative touch to the bathroom with only 2-3 screws required for a secure mount
- Offers safety without sacrificing elegance
6. Best for Kids’ Bath Time: GreenChief Suction Grab Bar
- Provides additional stability for toddlers when entering and exiting the tub or shower
- Offers a safe and comfortable experience for kids
7. Best for Walk-in Shower: Vive Grab Bar – Suction Shower Handle
- Must be applied to smooth, flat, non-porous surfaces
- Cannot support total body weight but provides reliable support for showering
8. Best for Elderly: Moen LR2308W Home Care Suction Hand Grip
- Features a molded non-slip grip for comfort and stability
- Boasts corrosion-resistant plastic with a neutral white finish
- Assists with balance for the elderly
9. Best for Bathtub: Safe-er-Grip 16″ Bath & Shower Handle
- Provides assistance with balance when entering or exiting the bathtub
- Offers steady confidence in and around the tub
10. Best for Post Surgery Recovery: Safe-er-Grip Store Lifestyles 11.5-inch Bar
- Works well on wet surfaces
- Simply press the tab levers to securely attach
- Provides safe entry into a wet and slippery tub and can be used on shower walls too
11. Best Gift for Seniors: Carex Suction Shower Grab Bar
- Includes color-changing indicators to show when the bar is locked
- Compact and lightweight for ease in travel and installation in hotel rooms or guest bathrooms
Best Shower Grab Bars Comparison & Reviews
|Product Name||Best for||Features|
|Moen 8724 Bathroom Grab Bar||Best Overall|| |
|Moen R8924P Home Care Grab Bar||Best for Freestanding Tub|| |
|AmazonBasics Handicap Safety Grab Bar||Best for Daily Fall Prevention|| |
|AmeriLuck Stainless Steel Bath Grab Bar||Best for Ceramic Tile|| |
|Franklin Brass 5616 Shower Grab Bar||Best for Fiberglass Shower|| |
|GreenChief 12″ Suction Grab Bar||Best for Kids’ Bath Time|| |
|Vive Safety Suction Shower Bar||Best for Walk-in Shower|| |
|Moen LR2308W Home Care Suction Hand Grip||Best for Elderly|| |
|Changing Lifestyles Safe-er-Grip 16″ Bath & Shower Handle||Best for Bathtub|| |
|Safe-er-Grip Store Lifestyles 11.5-inch Bar||Best for Post Surgery Recovery|| |
|Carex 12” Suction Shower Grab Bar||Best Gift for Seniors|| |
5 Best Shower Grab Bars Reviews
Here’s a list of our top 5 choices for you. All these shafts are of unparalleled quality and strength to be installed right after you finish reading this piece!
Best Overall: Moen 8724 Home 24-Inch Bathroom Grab Bar
Starting off with the Moen 8724 grab bar, this support is not only stylish with its stainless finish but also highly durable. It can handle up to 500 pounds of pressure without showing any sign of damage.
Additionally, this grab bar is designed to fit any hand size comfortably, making it convenient for people of all ages to use. The installation process is also hassle-free, with concealed screws adding to its aesthetic appeal.
Here are the pros and cons:
- Stylish stainless finish that complements bathroom fittings
- Easy installation process
- Withstands up to 500 pounds of pressure
- Concealed screw set up for a clean look
- Fits any hand size comfortably
- May require regular screw replacements
Best for Freestanding Tub: Moen R8924P Bathroom Grab Bar
What attracted us to another Moen bar? The quality is plain and simple. If you were impressed by the first one, then the R8924P is bound to amaze you.
With a textured finish, you can feel the bar’s grip as you hold onto it. It provides excellent traction and reduces the chance of slipping when getting up from the bathtub or toilet.
Like the 8724 model, this one can handle a lot of weight, up to 500 pounds. The stainless-steel construction also features a secure mount design that allows it to be installed at any angle.
- Made from durable stainless steel
- Textured finish for a secure grip
- Can be installed at any angle
- Easy to set up and install
- Can handle up to 500 pounds of weight
- Not ideal for people with small hands
Best for Daily Fall Prevention AmazonBasics Bathroom Handicap Safety Grab Bar
When it comes to bathroom fittings, AmazonBasics has a range of promising products, including handlebars. The 18-inch shaft of this handlebar is built with solid stainless steel to withstand exposure to pressure and wetness. It has a corrosion-resistant body and provides a secure grip with minimal chances of slipping.
This handlebar is designed to comply with ADA standards and is particularly helpful for elderly and injured patients. Even under the pressure of up to 500 pounds, it remains strong and sturdy.
To make installation easier, the package includes a complete installation guide. You can set it up in just a few minutes by following the guide.
- Solid stainless steel body for extra sturdiness
- Supports weight up to 500 pounds
- Includes a complete installation guide
- Corrosion-resistant build quality
- ADA standards-compliant product
- May develop rust marks if exposed to water for a prolonged period
Best for Ceramic Tile: AmeriLuck Stainless Steel Bath Grab Bar
What happens when solid strength and captivating design meet? AmeriLuck grab bar happens! You don’t need to take our word for it. A thick 304 stainless steel tube with an engrossing design is something you rarely see in a bathroom fitting.
Apart from the fact that the rod is made from robust steel, it comes with two different finishes. Choose from the polished chrome and brushed nickel finish — let loose your imagination!
You can select from the round, oval, and square escutcheon designs that fit and suit best in your bathroom. Being a handlebar doesn’t mean it can’t look posh and stylish!
- Made from 304-stainless steel tubes
- ADA and ANSI-compliant design
- Anti-skid grip ensures a stronghold
- Supports a variety of hand-sizes
- Decorative designs to match your personality
- The base cover doesn’t stay put in its place
Best for Fiberglass Shower: Franklin Brass 5616 Bath and Shower Grab Bar
Regain your confidence when you get up from the tub. With the ADA and ASTM standard-passed Franklin Brass 5616 attached beside you, never slip ever again!
The top-class bar is made from stainless steel to provide the optimum strength you need from a shaft. You can try pulling it off the wall with as much pressure as you may put.
It will not be moving an inch up to 500 pounds of weight hanging from it. Thanks to its durable build-up, it’s just the perfect match for elderly persons.
Expect no rusting or corrosion from the shank, as it comes in a rust-resistant design. It is also available in multiple finishes, as well.
- Constructed with strong stainless steel
- Complies with the ADA and ASTM standards
- Rust-proof coating for mitigating rust and corrosion
- Hides the screws for a better view
- Handles weights up to 500 pounds
- Screw holes may be larger than described in reality
Best Suction Grab Bars for Shower
Now, not all of you have got the same taste when it comes to drilling through the beautiful walls of your bathroom. It’s understandable; who wants to make ugly and nasty-looking holes in the wall when you can’t undo it when you don’t need it?
So, for those who don’t feel like altering the sophisticated tiles on the bathroom wall, using the best bathroom suction grab bars could be a brilliant choice. You get all the benefits of a grab shank, minus the need to peck through a nicely finished wall!
That’s why we have got some of the most functional suction shafts on our list, too! Let’s explore!
Most new users fumble in confusion about whether a suction bar is as good as a drilled one. Well, consider the following choices we filtered out for you. You will definitely have a positive vibe!
Best for Kids’ Bath Time: GreenChief Suction Grab Bar
The GreenCheif suction bar is an ideal solution if you have a flat surface measuring over 4 inches by 4 inches. This 12-inch suction shaft can be installed in as little as 5 seconds without requiring any tools – simply use the two locking latches to secure it in place.
This suction bar is versatile enough to be used on tiles, glass, acrylic surfaces, and fiberglass. It can withstand up to 250 pounds of weight without losing its grip.
Despite using a suction technique for installation, this bar leaves no stains or marks on the surface when you remove it or relocate it.
- Meets medical handrail safety standards
- Easy to install, takes only 5 seconds
- Can be used on various surfaces, including fiberglass and acrylic
- Can handle great pressure and weight
- Leaves no marks or stains on the surface
- Requires a flat surface measuring at least 4 inches by 4 inches
Best for Walk-in Shower: Vive Grab Bar – Suction Shower Handle
Elevate your bathroom safety with the Vive Grab bar and get the grip you’ve been longing for.
This sleek and premium-looking bar comes with two sturdy latches that can be locked easily by hand. However, it can only be mounted on smooth, flat, and non-porous surfaces.
The contoured rubber and textured design of the bar provide a comfortable and secure grip. It can withstand a maximum weight of 300 pounds, making it an excellent choice for seniors, individuals with injuries, and expectant mothers.
Setting up the bar is a breeze with the green and red display options that indicate whether the suction tubes are placed correctly or not.
- Sleek and premium-looking design
- Easy to install with sturdy latches
- Comfortable and secure grip with contoured rubber
- Can withstand up to 300 pounds of weight
- Green and red display for easy installation
- Can only be mounted on smooth, flat, and non-porous surfaces
Best for Elderly: Moen LR2308W Home Care Suction Hand Grip
Remember Moen? We’re back with another one but this time as a suction bar — the LR2308W. It works as strongly as the non-suction ones.
The white glacier finishes on the shank is enough to turn heads for this one. Its stunning plastic finish suits perfectly with the bathroom fittings.
Worried about corrosion of the plastic? Don’t be! This one is designed and made from corrosion-resistant plastic to make sure you don’t need to go through a rust-removal process in the future.
Its non-slip molded grip makes it pretty easy to hold on to while you stand up. The gentle uneven texture causes enough friction to resist slipping to the maximum level.
- Marvelous glacier white finish enhances bathroom look
- Textured and non-slip grip for better hold
- Functional suction tube with latches ensure strong placement
- Made from corrosion-resistant plastic
- Durable and compact device
- Angular pulling may cause the tubes to slip
Best for Bathtub: Safe-er-Grip 16″ Bath & Shower Handle
A prerequisite for a handle shaft to be one of the best suction grab bars for a shower is to be long enough to be used by almost anybody.
Such support is the Safe-er-Grip 16.5-inch handle. It’s truly a long shaft that can easily be grabbed by an elderly person trying to get up from a tub. Even kids can use it; if placed in close proximity.
The bar is manufactured with real rust and corrosion-resistant technique that allows it to be used and installed inside the shower. No matter how wet it gets, you can expect the least rust to be seen over it over the years.
- Textured inner grip promotes excellent handling
- Long enough to be held by anyone
- Rust and corrosion-resistant
- Can be installed on plastic and fiberglass surface
- Simple and easy to install
- Can’t endure the full-body weight
Best for Post Surgery Recovery: Safe-er-Grip Store Lifestyles 11.5-inch Bar
If you’re not a particular fan of long handles, consider the 12-inch mini bar from the Safe-er-Grip store. It’s convenient and relatively easy to set up and get going.
It comes with an uneven inner grip, which is a brilliant idea to get out of the box. You can feel the slip resistance when you’re holding it tightly.
Simply lock the latches when you’ve found the fine spot and remove the buttons if you need a repositioning. It takes barely 5 seconds to get it placed on the wall.
Although it uses a suction mechanism, it doesn’t suit drywalls. But that comes as good news for those of you who are looking for a handle to use in the shower!
- Short 12-inch handy handlebar
- Works great in a completely wet environment
- Uneven textured grip on the inner side of the bar
- Takes less than 5 seconds to install
- Made from strong and durable plastic
- Can’t be used on drywall
Best Gift for Seniors: Carex Suction Shower Grab Bar
To wrap our best grab bars for showers review up, we have the Carex suction grab support as our sixth and final choice. This white-blue designed grab shank adds to the colorful nature inside your bathroom.
The shaft has two color indicators, red and green, to make sure if the latches are safely and firmly locked or not. Its mounted rubber grip makes it quite comfortable to hold and pull to lift yourself up.
Having said that, the device can withstand weight up to 300 pounds at best. That makes it a perfect fit for aged users and those with clinical disabilities.
- Compact 12-inch device
- Strong rubber grip for best handling
- Supports weight up to 300 pounds
- Indicators for secured fitting
- Tool-free easy installation process
- Doesn’t work on textured tiled walls
Buying Guide: Shower Grab Bars
So, if you are aiming for the best bath grab bars in the market, we’re here to help. Note these hacks the next time you’re going for shopping handles.
The More Weight Endurance, the Better
The capacity to handle high pressure from the weight of your body is something that makes a bar stand out from the crowd. Make sure the rod can consume from 300 to 500 pounds of weight without any issues.
Textured Grip Helps
There’s no point in the shaft being sturdy if the grip is somewhat slippery. You’re sure to slip your hand and cause accidents. You need to keep your keen eyes on the grips of the handle shaft. Make sure it’s uneven and rubbery.
Rust and Corrosion-Resistance Is Crucial
You’re going to use the bar in your toilet and tub area. That means it will be exposed to a high level of moisture and wetness. No matter what material is used to make it, either plastic or steel, the shaft needs to be corrosion and rust-resistant for long-term use.
How to Install Suction Cup Grab Bars
If you’re new to installing and using grab supports, here’s our quick tutorial on how to set it up on your bathroom wall!
Non-Suction Bar Installation Steps
1: Use a driller to drill 6-8 holes in the wall
2: Place the shaft’s screw holes against the drilled ones
3: Insert and tighten the screws inside the holes
Suction Bar Installation Steps
1: Open the latches and expose the suction tubes
2: Find a flat and smooth surface on the bathroom wall
3: Place the shank on the most suitable spot on the wall
4: Close and lock the latches tightly. If there’s any indicator color, make sure it turns green
Even if there’s no elderly or injured person in your house, a grab handle is a must-have attachment in your bathroom. You may feel sick or can expect a baby someday and would find it hard to get up from the tub or toilet.
Having the best grab bars right on your sides may bring about absolute happiness and comfort! So, what are you waiting for? Please choose from the list we have made and order now!