The humid environment inside the enclosure of a bathtub or shower sometimes isn't favorable for the faucet handles. These handles get discolored by mineral deposits, especially if you have hard water, or even the showerhead's water drops can corrode with them.
The corrosion, moreover, can loosen the handles by damaging the threads on the valve stems. These are some of the things that necessitate shower handle replacement.
Replacing a shower faucet handle is one of the easiest plumping tasks. It is always recommended that before you do any type of faucet repair, you turn the water supply off; however, this is not important if your main task is to change the shower faucet handles. This article is all about the process of changing a shower faucet handle. Read on to have a clue on how the process goes on.
Step by Step to Changing Shower Faucet Handles
Things You Will Need-
You will need the following tools; file, spray lubricant, hammer, slot screwdriver, Allen wrenches, and a No.2 screwdriver.
- 1Examine the shower faucet handles. In some cases, you may find the screw that holds the handle visible. If it happens, you don't see it, then check behind the plug. It may be hidden time. Some handles, for instance, the lever-style are held by Allen nuts situated below the lever.
- 2Use a slot screwdriver to pry off the plug. Use the tip of the screwdriver amid the handle and the plug and smoothly snoop the plug upward. If you want to know the manufacturer, check the cap situated on the front of faceted handles. They usually bear the logo.
- 3Use a No.2 screwdriver to unscrew the screw that holds the faucet handle to the valve stem. If it is challenging to turn, don't force it because you might strip the head. Perhaps, look for a lubricant and spray around it and wait for a couple of minutes before you try once more.
- 4Then the next step is pulling the handle towards you, and it should glide off the valve stem. If it looks stubborn, use a hammer to tap it lightly so that you break the corrosion or mineral deposits.
- 5If your handle is level-style type, use an Allen wrench to make lose the nut holding it in place. After backing the nut enough to free it, pull the handle off the valve stem.
- 6Inspect the valve stem tip. If you realize that the old handle can be turned minus turning it alongside the valve, then the threads are stripped. You can renew the threads using a file, and if they are too stripped, you will have to get a new entire valve structure. This task can sometimes be hard and may require a plumber if you are not comfortable with it. This procedure also requires you to turn off the water first.
- 7Position your newly acquired handle so that the notches are in line with the ones on the valve stem. Replace the Allen nut or screw and then fasten it. To ensure that the handle does not come off or to be certain that the nut is in as supposed, pull on the handle after you have fastened the Allen nut.
- 8Tap the attachment into place, if there is one, with a mallet. Attachments for two-handle fixtures frequently have markings or shadings to distinguish hot and cold, so be certain they are on the right handles.
Tip: How to Change Shower Faucet Handles
Sometimes pulling off a handle that is stuck is difficult. In a situation like this, lever a screwdriver between the wall and the handle to remove it. To protect the wall and to make this task easier, put a scrap piece of wood between the wall and your screwdriver.
If you notice water spilling from the valve stem or if you notice a wet handle when you remove it, disconnect the water supply, remove the stem and check if the washers are worn out. If worn out, replace them.
The washroom is one of the most-utilized rooms in our homes. It should withstand a torrent of wear from dampness, temperature changes, and continuous use, so it is no big surprise when a component like a shower handle needs substitution. There a variety of shower faucet handles in the market. We have singles, doubles, and even triples. Luckily, regardless of what sort of handle you have, the procedure of replacement is similar.